How to Get Rid of Chiggers
Chiggers are tiny bugs that are almost invisible to the human eye. Typically, they measure 1/150th of an inch and hide in plants. You can pick them up without knowing when you walk around an infested area, or vegetation. The larva can easily attach themselves to a host and feed on skin cells. However, there’s a proven way to determine if your yard has a chigger infestation. You can use a specialized chigger control system to effectively get rid of chiggers.
Get Rid of Chiggers in your Garden
There are methods to determine if there are chiggers in your garden. One obvious way is when you experience incessant itching, as a result of large, red, bug bites. Another method is to do a sample test to verify the presence of offending pests, such as chiggers. You can start looking for these nuisance pests in thick vegetations and shaded overgrowth. These areas will make your sampling efforts easier. Don’t bother looking at short grasses, and areas exposed to the sun, since chiggers don’t breed in these spots.
Sampling can be done using black cardboard cut into squares of 6 x 6 inches. Place these cardboard squares in standing position. You can leave them for about 3 to 5 minutes. After several minutes, examine the black cardboard squares, to see if there are chiggers present. They may climb the cardboard squares, and gather at the top. If you see tiny yellow, or red, bugs, it’s positive that there are chiggers in your yard.
Best Way to Get Rid of Chiggers
There are steps you need to follow once it’s confirmed that there are chiggers in your yard. Aside from wearing suitable clothes, and using repellent, before going into a chigger-infested area, here are some tips to help you remove chiggers:
- To eliminate chiggers, you can use chigger removal methods, like chigger spray, for best results.
- The use of pesticides, however, is the last resort for pest control companies as they may destroy vegetations and the environment.
- Make sure that you regularly mow your lawn to keep the grass short. Remember, chiggers thrive in thick grasses and shady areas.
- The primary habitats of chiggers are trees, dense shrubs, weedy areas, ground covers, overgrown lawns, and leaf litter. Maintain, and treat, these areas, to stop female chiggers from laying eggs, and spreading like wildfire.
- Keep your yard neat and desiccated, all year round, to prevent chiggers from infesting your area.
Mowing Your Lawn
Those who don’t want to use chemicals in treating chiggers can count on some natural methods to eliminate these tiny bugs. For instance, you can mow your lawn. Regular mowing not only ensures healthy growth of your lawn, but it also eliminates pests that may thrive in tall grasses. You can also pull weeds up, and keep the grasses short. These methods are effective in getting rid of chiggers, because it gets rid of shade, and moisture, where they often hide.
Keep your trees, and bushes, well pruned to reduce humidity, and increase sunlight. Chiggers know how to stay dormant, but they can return to shady areas when the climate is favorable. So make sure to regularly mow your lawn and keep it dry all year round.
Driving Chiggers Away from Hosts
Chiggers can pester humans, pets, and other surfaces where they may thrive. But did you know that these nuisances also love latching on small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians? As long as it’s habitable for them, they may always find a way to multiply. This is why it is important to keep vegetation, and backyards, dry and well pruned. When you keep your garden uninhabitable for chiggers, rest assured that you will likely not be bothered by these tiny pests anymore, unless you have a serious infestation.
Cats and dogs, are vulnerable to various insects. Chiggers can quickly attach themselves to larger bodied animals that usually venture outdoors. You can find these bugs on the head, legs, and abdomen, of your pets. Once they latch onto your pets, they can cause itching and irritation, which may lead to infections, and sometimes scars from scratching too much. Insecticides for chiggers can help you get rid of pests from your beloved dogs and cats at home. One way to keep your pets free from chiggers is to clean them up thoroughly. For bitten areas, you can give them antihistamines to relieve itching.
Why Chigger Prevention Is Important
According to experts, the best way to remove chiggers is to use lawn treatment for chiggers. This is a modern method offered by professional pest control companies to help manage nuisance pests, like chiggers. However, it’s important to determine the right provider in order to avoid too much pesticide when treating your yard for chigger infestation. But why is it important to eliminate these tiny bugs from your property?
- Chigger bites can be irresistibly itchy. Even worse, you could get your skin infected when you scratch it. To avoid skin problems, make sure to kill these pests using an approved insecticide for chiggers.
- Your plants, in the garden, won’t grow healthier if there are malevolent insects present. Plus, these bugs can ruin your vegetation, and deteriorate the whole landscape.
- If you have kids and pets at home, they might be affected by the presence of chiggers, while they are outdoors. Keep them safe, and healthy, by eliminating nuisance pests from your property.
- Chiggers, mosquitoes, wasps, and other pest insects, are threats to your family’s health, and security. Hence, it is essential to keep your home free of these pests.
Using Chigger Pesticides
If you decide to use pesticides, in removing chiggers from your yard, it’s important to consider safe and responsible application, to avoid further problems. The following are some of the most essential guidelines you need to keep in mind:
- Confirm where the chiggers live, and cautiously spray pesticides in those areas.
- Do not overuse pesticides, and insecticides, when treating chigger infestation.
- Usually, chigger control requires several applications of insecticide, particularly during spring.
- Keep pets, and children, off the areas where you will spray pesticides. Don’t even allow animals to consume plants form the treated vegetation.
- Visit your local Cooperative Extension Office in order to determine which type of pesticide is appropriate for chiggers. This will also help you with the proper application of these chemicals.
- Before using any product, always read the label and follow the directions to avoid potential problems.
Chigger Spray for Yards
If you want to take advantage of the best yard spray for chiggers, Mr. Mist Systems can help. They can use a backpack mist blower to treat your yard that will spray an insecticide in your yard. This application can be a one-time application or applied every 30 days. Aside from chiggers, their products treat other unwanted pests like mosquitoes, fleas and ticks.
Cities We Service:
College Station, Houston, Wellborn, Bryan, Millican, Snook, Kurten, Anderson, Iola, Navasota, Somerville, Roans Prairie, Mumford, Lyons, Washington, Caldwell, Wheelock, North Zulch, Bedias, Brenham, Richards, Hearne, Shiro, Gause, Chriesman, Deanville, Burton, Plantersville, Madisonville, Calvert, Carmine, Ledbetter.
Zip Codes We Service:
77001, 77363, 77801, 77802, 77803, 77805, 77806, 77807, 77808, 77830, 77831, 77833, 77834, 77835, 77836, 77837, 77838, 77840, 77841, 77842, 77843, 77844, 77845, 77852, 77857, 77859, 77861, 77862, 77863, 77864, 77866, 77867, 77868, 77869, 77872, 77873, 77875, 77876, 77878, 77879, 77880, 77881, 77882, 78932, 78946.